Pocket Casts now offers its premium features at no cost, while rolling out Pocket Casts Plus for listeners wanting more customization and flexibility.
Starting today, podcast fans all over the world can download Pocket Casts for free. Known for its beautiful design and robust set of controls, Pocket Casts is making the entirety of its existing features available at no charge. Power users looking for even more customization can upgrade to Pocket Casts Plus for USD$0.99 per month (USD$10/year). With these changes, we are now more closely aligned with the open-access model of our public media ownership.
“Pocket Casts is built for podcast fans, by podcasts fans. Since we launched in 2010, we’ve been obsessed with the user experience and have consistently delivered powerful and intuitive features to the medium’s most passionate fans,” said Pocket Casts CEO Owen Grover. “In today’s rapidly evolving audio landscape, it’s important we stand for free and open access — not walled gardens — to grow the medium while delivering the world’s best listening experience.”
The free version of Pocket Casts will continue to add new features, as well as retain all of the existing features that current listeners know and love including:
- Discovery: easily search for podcasts, publishers, and hosts or dive deeper with episode search
- Audio effects: playback at variable speeds such as 2X or 3X and trim silence
- Organization: create custom filters to organize episodes based on a variety of parameters
- Design: choose from light, dark or AMOLED-friendly dark themes and icons
- Playback: play individual episodes with or without subscribing, automate file downloads and brand new in this update: play local audio and video files
- Cross-platform sync: pick up exactly where you left off on another device thanks to seamless integrations across iOS and Android; Amazon Echo; Sonos; Chromecast; Airplay, Apple Watch, Carplay and Android Auto
Pocket Casts Plus, for those power listeners looking for even more control, offers:
- Desktop apps including macOS, Windows and Web apps
- Cloud storage for creators and listeners who want to use Pocket Casts for all of their audio and video files
- Exclusive app icons and themes
Listeners who currently use the iOS or Android mobile app will not experience any changes. All existing features, plus the new functionality, is available in the latest update. Those who previously purchased Pocket Casts’ desktop app will receive three free years of Pocket Casts Plus. [Update: Users who previously purchased the Web and desktop apps now have lifetime access to Pocket Casts Plus. Click here for more info.]
“Pocket Casts has been my favorite podcast app, and not just because it’s owned by public radio stations,” said Ira Glass, producer and host of This American Life. “It really is the best. Easy to navigate, little podcast logos you move around to sort your favorites, quick access to 1.5 speed when I listen to The Daily or Fresh Air or, frankly, most anything else. I’ve recommended it to friends. Glad to hear it’s now going to be free!”
For podcast creators, this release highlights our commitment to growing the podcasting medium by bringing the best listening experience to both new and existing podcast fans. Hailed as the best podcast app for iOS and Android by The Verge, Wired, Engadget and Lifehacker, amongst others, Pocket Casts features more than 700K podcasts and is available in 155 countries.